Though doctors are very professional in what they do, they are humans, and humans tend to make mistakes. However, some mistakes can lead to the death of a patient or can cause significant or life-long harm.
The act of negligence or any deviation from the ethical standard of medical care can result in malpractice. If you feel that your doctors made a mistake or they were negligent, you can contact a Miami medical malpractice attorney. The personal injury lawyer can help you get the claim you deserve and hold the medical staff accountable for their actions.
Some of the common medical malpractices include:
- Delayed or misdiagnosis:
Misdiagnosis results in wrong treatment, and it usually happens when a doctor fails to examine the clinical signs accurately or orders for wrong tests. About 33% of medical malpractice claims are because of misdiagnosis. Moreover, if a doctor loses the test results or if the test is mislabeled, the patient suffers. Accurate diagnosis can help save a patient’s life, while a misdiagnosis can be fatal.
- Failure in treating:
Failure to meet the medical standard of care is an act of negligence. Medical negligence is a frequent cause of medical malpractice. A few examples of medical negligence include:
- Not ordering the right tests.
- Prescribing drugs without studying the patient’s medical history.
- Discharging the patient too early after a surgical procedure.
- Failure to explain to the patients the steps to be followed after surgery.
- Errors with prescribed drugs:
A wrong prescription can cause an allergic reaction or a potentially fatal side effect. The most common prescription errors include:
- Prescribing the wrong medication. This usually happens if the doctor has failed to diagnose the problem
- Prescribing a wrong dosage, leading to drug abuse.
- Failure in recognizing possible allergic reactions.
- Surgical errors or errors during a procedure:
Whether it is an elective surgery or an emergency surgery, it is the responsibility of a doctor to protect their patient from any harm. The most common surgical errors include:
- Allergic reaction to the anesthesia.
- Surgical instruments are left inside the body cavity.
- Failure to follow the accepted standards of a medical procedure.
- Childbirth injuries:
Failures in case of a pregnancy can be potentially fatal for the mother as well as the baby. It is essential to take into account any possible chances of fetal distress. Failure to perform a C-section or incorrect use of the surgical instruments can cause significant harm to the baby as well as the mother.
If you or your loved ones become a victim of medical malpractice, it is vital to consult a lawyer who can fight for your case and get the deserving compensation for you and your loved ones.